1. Your heart will beat 42 million times this year. (hopefully!) That’s a lot of work so take care of it.
2. As medical healers from many traditions have told me, American doctors are the best at surgery. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for diagnostics. Some of you, despite getting a yearly check up with blood work, may have potentially fatal heart conditions because your doctor has not recognized dangerous symptoms .
3. Friends. I wouldn’t have made it through this ordeal without friends who were there 24 hours a day. I got much of the best information and advice from my old SDS friends who were just as smart as ever.
4. Heart Bypass surgery is rather Frankenstinian. Your heart and lungs are stopped for an hour and a half. The you of you inhabits a netherworld. Part of your body thinks you are dead. After you are reawakened, it takes time for you body to rebalance.
5. There will be over 150,000 heart bypass surgeries in the US this year. And post surgery, most patients will have much better lives .
Either you or someone in your extended family might be facing this problem. If so, email me and I will send you a more lengthy memo on bypass surgery with a number of tips for recovery that aren’t conventionally available.
6. A puffy looking friend who eats horribly laughed and said “I will just have bypass surgery one day.” Bad idea.
* I’m including the video of the tubes being pulled from my chest. Real Stuff…Jeff